Re: Dear Debian Maintainers (usability)

> dpgk-reconfigure is only required if you want to reconfigure a
> package. Packages remember the initial configurations so you need to
> configure them on upgrade only if a configuration option changed.

The problem is that everything is within a package, but the relations are not
always clear (console-common is not really what I expected).

> Locales have nothing to do with the keyboard. They control how things
> are displayed on screen. I don't know how to change keyboard in the
> console (I think console-tools or something like that), in X its in the
> XF86Config-4 file, using a variety of graphical configurators (very
> little experience with them I'm afraid), or using the gnome/kde
> keyboard switchers. Tell me what you want to set and we'll find out how.

Isn't that the problem at all: sure, gimme enough time and I find out
everything :-) You know, I reinstalled my pc, replaced suse by debian in the
hope, that after a few hours I can continue work. That was wrong just because
of so small things... keyboard layout, display charsets, mounting options...
It is ok that you can specify each little peace that you want, but in this
case you even *must*.
A menu which handles the calls for dpkg is urgently needed.

> Where does X fail and what version? hopefully we can help you start it
> up.
Its in two other threads: changing default display mgr and trouble installing
kde.

> IIRC the installation process allows you to set that. Otherwise the
> settings are in /etc/network/interfaces. I am sure that there is a gui
> that does that but don't know any.
No, installation did not allow me to change it. Maybe because a dhcp-server
was found (?)

> All these exist in unstable (and its not as unstable as its sounds. I am
> also using a lot of stuff even from experimental and the system is very
> stable).
Mmmh... you can specify for each packages where it hast to come from
(stable/testing/unstable)?

> The new things will never be in stable (maybe except for the couple of
> months following release until they get updated).
Stable is too old for a desktop system, anyway.
Should I change to unstable or is there another way to get it in testing?