Re: Can't play audio CD's

From: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't play audio CD's
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:10:34 -0400

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:16:12 +0100
Brian Potkin <brian@copernicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> ...and then wondered whether Chris Metzler was correct in saying:
>
> 'Group "disk" has write access to all the raw disk devices (/dev/hd* and
> /dev/sd*).  Assigning users to group "disk" is both dangerous and a
> security risk.'
>
> as her/his contribution to the 'cd and floppy disk use' thread in
> debian-user on 2 May 2004.

hahaha.  I just saw this thread, just saw the suggestion to add
oneself to group "disk", was about to post this, and decided I'd
read ahead first and see if someone had already said it.  And I
guess someone already had!

In addition to the above, it should absolutely *not* be the case
that one has to be assigned to group "disk" to play audio CDs.  If
ownerships and permissions are set properly, group "disk" shouldn't
matter at all.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)

<< attach3 >>

How then should one go about it setting ownership and permissions properly?

Meet new people instantly with MSN Messenger! http://messenger.msn.co.za?DI=1054&XAPID=2532