Strange lockups in X

Hi.

About two weeks ago I updated both of my machines to the then latest
versions in Testing.  At the same time the xfree packages of version
4.3.0.dfsg.1-1.  Shortly after that I began to experience instant
freezes on both the laptop and the desktop which are two very different
machines, but i386 architecture.

I can't pin down any common action that I might be doing.  I've had the
desktop run for nearly 24 hours and often times it will run less than
six hours before locking up.  It has always locked up when not in use
so xscreensaver has been active.

On the laptop the lockup has occured while I'm working, so xscreensaver
may not be the culprit.  I have both custom compiled and stock kernels
on each box and the lock-ups have occured when running either kernel.

A bit over two weeks ago I bought a digital camera which is the first
USB device I have used.  I was loading the usb-uhci module at boot time
on this laptop and loading and unloading the other drivers via a
script.  Now I have moved usb-uhci to the script as well so no USB
driver is loaded.  Crossing my fingers, this box is still running.

I've looked through the logs and don't have a clue as to what is
broken.  I guess I'm looking for ideas on tracking down the problem.
Checking the bug reports the other revealed no obvious similarities.

- Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org