Re: dpkg-reconfigure locales and German Umlauts with English Messages

Peter Sebastian Masny wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2004 01:24 pm, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > I'd also advise you to have the default locale be "None"
> > when dpkg-reconfigure locales asks you.  Just set LANG in
> > your ~/.bashrc.  You can also unselect all of the locales
> > you selected, leaving only en_US.UTF-8 to be generated.
>
> Why not en_US.UTF-8 as default?

Because the en_US locale changes the standard sort ordering to a
dictionary sort ordering.  That breaks many things.  Or at least is a
fundamental change in behavior.  If you are going to fundamentally
change things like that then you should know you are doing it and it
should not be the default.

After setting LANG=en_US then people post bugs to the GNU coreutils
about it claiming it is a bug.  See the archives there and you will
see it is one of the most often reported non-bugs in ls and sort.
Also perl suffered greatly from this mess too.  But it is not a bug.
The problem exists between the chair and keyboard because the user
told sort to ignore punctuation and to fold case by saying LANG=en_US
and then complained when sort acted as told.

This is compounded by the fact that RH does not give the user an
opportunity to use a standard sort order.  You are forced to use a
dictionary sorting locale.  And so RH has caused more false bug
reports on this than you could possibly imagine.  My own bug report to
RH on the inability of the user to select a standard C/POSIX locale
for LANG was closed "that was intentional" and no more discussion.  So
needless to say I am not happy about it.

Bob