Re: dpkg-reconfigure locales and German Umlauts with English Messages

Thanks for the feedback.

> Vineet Kumar <vineet@doorstop.net> [2004-06-03 22:33]:
>
> * Lukas Ruf (ruf@rawip.org)[20040603 10:32]:
>
> > short version: I would like to make use of German Umlauts but have all
> > the messages displayed in English.  How can I achieve this?
>
> Try just using LANG=en_US.UTF-8.  You should be able to see
> not only German, but also Japanese, etc.  Since your locale
> is still en_US, all of your messages should still be
> displayed in US English.  I use this setting and have no
> problems displaying (correctly encoded) messages in mutt,
> vim, etc.
>
> I'd also advise you to have the default locale be "None"
> when dpkg-reconfigure locales asks you.  Just set LANG in
> your ~/.bashrc.  You can also unselect all of the locales
> you selected, leaving only en_US.UTF-8 to be generated.

I am using xterm.  My settings look like

uccellina:~!54> locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

This works perfectly as expected.  Setting the default to en_US.UTF-8,
however, doesn't.  It destroys the layout of the xtitle for my xterms.

Thanks again!

wbr,
Lukas
- --
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |
eMail Style Guide: <http://www.rawip.org/style.html>|