dpkg-reconfigure locales and German Umlauts with English Messages

Dear all,

short version: I would like to make use of German Umlauts but have all
the messages displayed in English.  How can I achieve this?

long version: I tried dpkg-reconfigure, selected all the character
sets and chose a default encoding.  After logging in again, on the one
hand, the Umlauts were shown, on the other hand, all the messages were
displayed in German.  I do not like German messages when working with
computers....  Primarily, this is awkward when working with users that
save their files with Umlauts (in subversion), and annoying for
displaying messages in mutt.

Thanks for any help!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |