Question Regarding Wav Files

I have moved some .wav files (lp tracks) from a hard drive formatted for vfat files to a hard drive formatted for linux ext2 files and then used xcdroast to burn a good cd. Well and good.

However, if I try to play the files from the hard drive with wavp for some of tracks the program displays the Length, Rate, BPS, Depth and Channels and exits immediately. Others it can play with no problem. If I try to play the files from the hard disk the using xcdroast the tracks which wont play with wavp just play noise. Audacity can play any of the tracks will export any of the tracks so they are playable with wavp. The two tracks I have tried this with have been shortened by 74 bytes and had their permissions changed from -rwxr--r-- to -rw-r--r--. The permission change is unimportant. I can change it back and the exported track still plays

Clearly Audacity is removing something that interferes with wavp. Is there a simpler way of doing this?