Re: Help fixing 'Sarge' Install

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:37:52 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Still, I'm not sure of the meaning of these
> lines:
>
> >Warning only 896MB will be used.
> >Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
> >896MB LOWMEM available.

It's nothing worrisome.  What it means is this:  the Linux kernel can
normally use only 896MB of memory; if you have more than that, it'll
think you have only 896MB . . . .UNLESS when you compile the kernel,
you set the appropriate kernel config options.  Upon doing so,
additional code is compiled into the kernel that lets it access more
than 896MB of memory.  See linux/Documentation/Configure.help
(grep on "HIGHMEM") for more info.

I don't know anything about the code that permits that access, so I
don't know if it has significant overhead . . . and thus, if you have
only 1GB, whether being able to use the additional 104MB is worth any
performance degradation from the more-complex memory addressing
routines.  Maybe someone here can comment on that?

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)