Re: Help fixing 'Sarge' Install

Luis Rojas wrote:

Hi all,

i posted early as a reply to a thread i thought was related to my issues, i am making a new post to make things easier to respond and explain better what is going on with my system.

The main issue i am experiencing is general unresponsiveness on part of kde ( when i am using the console without logging to X first, i have no trouble that i can notice ). The kind of unresponsiveness i am talking abut is Jumpy pointer, screen redraws taking a long time, system seems to freeze temporarily, buttons in the gui dont recognize clicking on them, aplications launching twice after even a single click, etc.

i put into a file the information i thought could be usefull for determining what is going on with my system. It can be found at http://lhabia.com/lrrm/ts-report.txt

I would apreciate it, if any body could take a look at the file and give me a hand trying to figure out how to fix my Box.

Thanks in advance,

Luis

When I first read this post my first thought was "add RAM", but according to your link, I'm guessing you have a GB or so, which ought to be plenty for average use. Still, I'm not sure of the meaning of these lines:

Warning only 896MB will be used.
Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
896MB LOWMEM available.

My next thought was that you should try something other than KDE, just to see if KDE might be the culprit. I'd try something simple, like icewm, ion, wmaker, etc.

My third thought was DMA and/or 32-bit addressing on your hard drive (but not particularly likely). Still, you might want to take a look at hdparm.

My fourth thought was that perhaps since you have two mice sections, that might be confusing X. Again, not likely, but maybe.

And my last thought was "Oh no, he has a gun! And he's pulling the trig -- augh-gh-gh-ck" thud.

Okay, not really; my last thought was about making some lame joke about "my last thought."

Wait, no, my last thought was about explaining about making a joke about ... oh, never mind.

--
Kent