Re: OT - Tabs vs. Spaces in a Debian system

Micha Feigin wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:00:03PM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2004-05-28, Einstein9112@yahoo.com penned:
Your editor may not display tabs as the same number of characters
as my editor does.

Then set it to that if you wish to read the file. Both vim and emacs
as examples also let you set tab size for only the current file and
also set it in a comment so it will always use that tab size when you
open that file.

Looking at the previous 10 messages in my debian-user list folder, I think it's time we call this what it is and put a stop to it. Hence, the subject line.

For editing any reasonably complex and interesting code the problem of tabs and spaces is nullified due to the necessity of line wrapping.

Changing the number of spaces per indent level requires re-parsing the document and re-wrapping.

Changing the number of tabs per indent level requires re-parsing the document and re-wrapping.

However, many other text processing utilities either do not provide for the adjustment of the character width of tabs, or the means of doing so is obscure or not well documented. Using tabs requires additionally the configuration of these other utilities.

Further, while tabs can reduce uncompressed document size, if you are concerned about document storage size then you will compress the document. Compressed, the difference between using tabs and using spaces is insignificant.

Therefore:
4 spaces per indent level and 80 columns.

dircha