Embedded settings in VIM files Was:Re: OT - trivial programming language

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 05:06:27AM +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:

> ... Both vim and emacs as
> examples also let you set tab size for only the current file and also
> set it in a comment so it will always use that tab size when you open
> that file.

In the Debian distro of VIM, this feature of reading the embedded
settings (modelines) is turned off by default.  In
/usr/share/doc/vim/README.Debian, it states that it's turned off for
security reasons, but suggests that you can turn it on in your personal
.vimrc .  I have not done so yet.  Is it advisable to turn it on?