Re: OT - trivial programming language

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:00:03PM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-05-28, Einstein9112@yahoo.com penned:
> >

> > s. keeling wrote:
> >>
> >> However, this is likely only a problem for those of us who hate tabs.
> >> Those who like tabs are blissfully ignorant of the problems they
> >> cause.  Thankfully, we've found ways to deal with this ridiculous
> >> preference of yours (man expand, man unexpand, perldoc Text::Tabs,
> >> ...).
> >
> > What kind of problems do using tabs cause?
>
> Let's start with this:
>
> Your editor may not display tabs as the same number of characters as my
> editor does.

Then set it to that if you wish to read the file. Both vim and emacs as
examples also let you set tab size for only the current file and also
set it in a comment so it will always use that tab size when you open
that file.

> Your or my editor may not let you set the tab display size.

Pretty lame editor. Get a real one.

> Your or my editor may not let you display tabs as "special characters".

It also won't display space as a special character and a proper editor
can be configured to display tabs as special characters if you wish so
(read my previous remark).

> I may or may not feel like changing my tabwidth settings just to read
> your g*dd*mn code!

Then don't read the g*dd*mn code if you don't want to.