Re: Setting locale failed

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:35:53PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:45:48PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> >>Please tell us, because this is a very serious botch-up which makes
> >>Debian almost unusable for non-C-locale users.
> >
> >This is obviously not true, since the locale warnings you got were
> >merely non-failure-causing warnings, and not the source of the error
>
> I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean about "non-failure
> causing warnings". I simply cannot set the locale (indeed, cannot
> install the locales package successfully) on one of my machines
> (running testing).
>
> Unpacking locales (from .../locales_2.3.2.ds1-12_all.deb) ...
> Setting up locales (2.3.2.ds1-12) ...
> Generating locales...
>   en_US.UTF-8.../usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 41: 23102 Killed
>       localedef -i $input -c -f $charset -A /etc/locale.alias $locale
> dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 137

That has nothing to do with the original poster's problem. The original
poster mentioned some locale-related warnings which weren't fatal; your
problems are fatal but entirely different.

It looks rather as if locale-gen is running out of memory and being
killed by the kernel? Check your syslog.

Cheers,