Re: Setting locale failed

Colin Watson wrote:

Please tell us, because this is a very serious botch-up which makes
 Debian almost unusable for non-C-locale users.

This is obviously not true, since the locale warnings you got were merely non-failure-causing warnings, and not the source of the error

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean about "non-failure
causing warnings". I simply cannot set the locale (indeed, cannot
install the locales package successfully) on one of my machines (running
testing).

Unpacking locales (from .../locales_2.3.2.ds1-12_all.deb) ...
Setting up locales (2.3.2.ds1-12) ...
Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8.../usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 41: 23102 Killed
      localedef -i $input -c -f $charset -A /etc/locale.alias $locale
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 137

The bug reports do not contain any information that I can understand, so
any "plain-language" help would be appreciated.

Regards, Jan