Re: Setting locale failed

Colin Watson wrote:
Generating locales...
 en_US.UTF-8.../usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 41: 23102 Killed
     localedef -i $input -c -f $charset -A /etc/locale.alias $locale
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 137

That has nothing to do with the original poster's problem. The original
poster mentioned some locale-related warnings which weren't fatal; your
problems are fatal but entirely different.

It looks rather as if locale-gen is running out of memory and being
killed by the kernel? Check your syslog.

This is true. Because I could not generate locales I had the OP's
problems *also*, but, in my case, the _cause_ was a memory problem.

Especially generating UTF-8 locales seems to require an inordinate amount of memory. On the little (32 M) machine I ran it on I could get it to work after creating a 100 M swap file (smaller sizes did not work).

I do not know what locale-gen (or more exactly localedef) actually generates, but the only thing I could find was a file called /usr/lib/locale-archive, which is only 1.5 M. Couldn't localedef be programmed in such a way that the generating process uses less memory, warns in advance in case of insufficient memory, or something like that? Does it use recursion, perhaps?

Regards, Jan