Re: Setting locale failed

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:35:53PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> >>Please tell us, because this is a very serious botch-up which makes
> >> Debian almost unusable for non-C-locale users.
> >

> >This is obviously not true, since the locale warnings you got were
> >merely non-failure-causing warnings, and not the source of the error
>
> I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean about "non-failure
> causing warnings". I simply cannot set the locale (indeed, cannot
> install the locales package successfully) on one of my machines (running
> testing).

"just message to screeen only"  which does not stop/affect execution of
the program.

> Unpacking locales (from .../locales_2.3.2.ds1-12_all.deb) ...
> Setting up locales (2.3.2.ds1-12) ...
> Generating locales...
>   en_US.UTF-8.../usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 41: 23102 Killed
>       localedef -i $input -c -f $charset -A /etc/locale.alias $locale
> dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 137
>
> The bug reports do not contain any information that I can understand, so
> any "plain-language" help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards, Jan

Did you try from root shell if locale is problem:
 ~ # unset LANG
 ~ # unset LANGUAGE
 ~ # export LANGUAGE LANG
 ~ # apt-get upgrade

But is this the reason???  As I see...
 locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
 locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
 locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

This looks funny, as you posed...

 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.2.2-2_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite
 `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.desktop',
 which is also in package openoffice-de-en
 dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.2.2-2_all.deb

Yep, kdelibs-data has problem here.

See http://bugs.debian.org/kdelibs-data

Osamu