Re: Configuring /etc/apt/preferences

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

On 2004-04-23 20:39:27 +0200, Andrei Badea wrote:

I tried to change /etc/apt/preferences to this (one single rule):

Package: *
Pin: origin ftp.cz.debian.org
Pin-Priority: 999

in order to increase the priority, just to see what would happen. Unfortunately nothing, on apt-cache policy I get the same list that I posted before. All sources have the same priority 990. Maybe the "origin" syntax is wrong?

You probably need the scheme too (e.g. ftp://ftp.cz.debian.org)
and possibly more (the full path after "deb" or "seb-src" in
/etc/apt/sources.list). But I've never tried.

I've tried both the scheme and path, only the scheme and only the full path, with and without double quotes. Nothing seems to work.

I avoid that by not using any target release in apt.conf, as it is
useless (and possibly harmful[*]) when using preferences.

[*] For instance, this could prevent security updates from being applied.

I run this on my home computer, where I've switched to unstable immediately after installing Woody. So I guess there aren't security updates for me anyway since unstable is not supported by the security team (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

--
Andrei