Re: Configuring /etc/apt/preferences

On 2004-04-22 23:49:49 +0200, Andrei Badea wrote:
> Having a slow Internet connection, I want to set /etc/apt/preferences so
> that packages from the CDs have a greater priority that those on the
> network. So I put in preferences:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: origin ftp.cz.debian.org
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> IMHO this should set a priority of 500 for all packages from the ftp
> mirror.

If I've understood correctly, this sets a priority of *at least* 500
for all packages from the ftp mirror. But you may have other rules
setting a higher priority.

> However, when I do a "apt-cache policy", I get:
>
> ... lines for the cdroms, priority 990 ...
>  990 ftp://ftp.cz.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.cz.debian.org
>  990 ftp://ftp.cz.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
>      origin ftp.cz.debian.org
> Pinned Packages:
>
> So the priority of the network packages still is 990. Also, when I try
> to install a package, APT would always install the newest version from
> the network.
>
> Could please anyone explain why? Thank you for any help.

This 990 may come from that [from apt_preferences(5)]:

   priority 990
       to  the versions that are not installed and belong to the target
       release.

(whatever the source...).

The problem with preferences is that one can only increase a priority,
not decrease it.

100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,
Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc.