Re: lost mouse functionality in 2.6.x kernel upgrade

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:57:43PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:

> As for gpm - I don't use it myself, but I don't think 2.6 has changed
> the situation that you can't meaningfully have two things trying to
> read the same mouse. The standard advice is to get gpm working first -
> configuring it according to the settings you've used for X should work
> - which you do with X not running, then tell gpm to repeat type=raw
> (check punctuation :-) ) and point X's mouse config at /dev/gpmdata.

In fact, this is one thing that 2.6 does fix. I have both gpm and X pointed
at /dev/input/mice, and both applications respond to both a usb and ps/2
mouse at the same time without interfering with each other.  (I don't
normally engage in two-fisted mousing, I just never unplugged the ps/2 mouse
when I upgraded to the usb one.)

As far as the OP goes, I suspect that gpm is probably not properly
configured. According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/input.txt:

     Mousedev will generate either PS/2, ImPS/2 (Microsoft IntelliMouse) or
     ExplorerPS/2 (IntelliMouse Explorer) protocols, depending on what the
     program reading the data wishes.

Here's my /etc/gpm.conf (trimmed of comments):

device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
repeat_type=msc
type=imps2
append="-3"
sample_rate=

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | WARNING: Persons denying the existence of
Denver, Colorado USA  | robots may be robots themselves.