Re: lost mouse functionality in 2.6.x kernel upgrade

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 03:30:49PM -0500, James Miller wrote:
> Ok.  I see I should have mentioned that I rebooted.  It still didn't work.
> Nor did manually modprobing it work (I didn't think it would if rebboting
> after editing /etc/modules failed, but I thought I should try it anyway).
> I also modprobed mousedev, which similarly didn't help.  Only when I ran
> across something telling me to look at the output from cat
> /proc/bus/input/devices did I begin to make any progress.  That output
> told me the mouse was at /dev/input/mouse0, and when I entered that under
> the Generic Mouse stanza of XF86Config-4, I got a working mouse cursor
> under X.  But gpm is not working (i.e., no cursor appears in console mode
> when I move the mouse, as it should), and I'm not sure why.  Neither do I
> have a console beep - another mystery.  Anyone have input on getting gpm
> and the console beep working under the 2.6.4 kernel?

With 2.6 the beep depends on a module - called pcspkr I think.
(Personally I like the silence :-) )

As for gpm - I don't use it myself, but I don't think 2.6 has changed
the situation that you can't meaningfully have two things trying to
read the same mouse. The standard advice is to get gpm working first -
configuring it according to the settings you've used for X should work
- which you do with X not running, then tell gpm to repeat type=raw
(check punctuation :-) ) and point X's mouse config at /dev/gpmdata.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons