Re: Intel Pro/100 VE

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 paul@thirdaspect.net wrote:

> thanx to all who responded to this thread.  The problem I feel is now resolved
> and I will explain how I did it for documentation purposes.
>
> the suggestion by Faheem, though I'm sure it works, I did not take it because I
> did not know enough about kernel recompilation to make it work, I kept running
> into walls.  I keep running into issues about conflicting kernel versions when
> I try installing it.  In addition, since I don't have internet access at this
> point, using apt-get (I'm pretty sure it's not on the cd, though I could be
> wrong) to get the package and then recompiling a whole bunch of stuff just
> isn't worth it.

Recompiling the kernel is a useful skill and much easier (with
kernel-package) that is may at first appear. The tutorial at
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html is pretty
nice. I corresponded briefly with the author and he really did his
homework.

In any case I am surprised that just simply installing one of the
precompiled Debian kernel images from 2.4.20 or later did not work for
you. But perhaps there were other difficulties in doing so.

                                                           Faheem.