Re: Intel Pro/100 VE

thanx to all who responded to this thread.  The problem I feel is now resolved
and I will explain how I did it for documentation purposes.

the suggestion by Faheem, though I'm sure it works, I did not take it because I
did not know enough about kernel recompilation to make it work, I kept running
into walls.  I keep running into issues about conflicting kernel versions when
I try installing it.  In addition, since I don't have internet access at this
point, using apt-get (I'm pretty sure it's not on the cd, though I could be
wrong) to get the package and then recompiling a whole bunch of stuff just
isn't worth it.

Frank had also responded to this thread (although I haven't quoted him here)
offering the advice of using lspci to grab the ID of the ethernet card and then
using bvi to hex edit the eepro100.o module file.  Although this approach does
require me to grab the bvi package, it doesn't require much effort after that.
Since I was new to bvi, I will use the commands I used here
   bvi eepro100.o
   \3810             //ID in the adapter is 1038  but you need to flip it
   r                 // replace
   3D                // this is the ID of the card, 103D
   :w                // save
   :q                // quit

Now with that all said and done, I simply am running into so many hardware
issues due to the my new laptop.  And so instead of using stable debian, I am
going to test the sid version because I have read of success with it.

Hope this helps other people

Paul