Re: Cron output logging

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 05:36:20PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> I've been away, but just before I went I guessed a solution.  In
> /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.workstation there is a series of files with names
> of programs containing not very informative contents.  I guessed these
> might be expressions for matching, and created a file called cron that
> contained the line
>
> *CRON*
>
> on the basis that all the output I wanted to suppress contained "CRON"

Yep, you've got the basic idea.  But drop the *s.  Both because
logcheck looks for the patterns anywhere within the log lines and
because it uses regexes (regular expressions), not shell globs.  In a
regex, * means "0 or more of whatever precedes the *", so "*CRON*"
will also match "CRO", as that has 0 or more "N"s at the end.

I have an /etc/logcheck/ignore.d/cron on the machine I'm currently
sitting at, which contains the following:

CRON.*CMD
cron.*CMD
cron.*RELOAD
cron.*STARTUP

That might be a good place to start.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that