Re: Cron output logging

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:24 -0500
Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:11:39PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > I don't think it's coming directly from the *output* of the script.
> > It seems to me that the script is doing something that now gets
> > logged that used not to be logged.  I think it must have to do with
> > the configuration of logcheck, but I can't find documentation that
> > explains fully enough how logcheck works so that I can stop it.
>
> Maybe you already did this in an earlier message and I just forgot,
> but could you send the subject line of one of the email reports that
> you're trying to stop along with a sample of the relevant content?
> It's sounding to me like the people on the list think you're trying
> to stop mail from one source, but it's actually coming from somewhere
> else, perhaps logcheck, perhaps not; I haven't seen enough
> information to determine that.

I've been away, but just before I went I guessed a solution.  In
/etc/logcheck/ignore.d.workstation there is a series of files with names
of programs containing not very informative contents.  I guessed these
might be expressions for matching, and created a file called cron that
contained the line

*CRON*

on the basis that all the output I wanted to suppress contained "CRON"

This works, so all I need to do now is work out a proper regex that
applies only to the specific output.  It's a pity the logcheck man page
doesn't explain this.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber