Re: Cron output logging

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:12:10 -0600
"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:

> > The logging is emailed to me along with other stuff, like leafnode
> > activity, and other cron activity.  I assume it's organised by
> > logcheck.
> >  It's a custom script that checks some file permissions on files I
> >  own
> > and if necessary changes them.
>
> Then control the output of your script.  cron won't mail you output
> unless it gets some to mail you.  Use the "blah > /dev/null 2>&1"
> trick above on every command in that script that produces output.
> Probably better to redirect it to a file instead of the bitbucket
> until you know it's working the way it should.

I don't think it's coming directly from the *output* of the script.  It
seems to me that the script is doing something that now gets logged that
used not to be logged.  I think it must have to do with the
configuration of logcheck, but I can't find documentation that explains
fully enough how logcheck works so that I can stop it.

--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/