Re: Dynamically increase/reduce hardware raid partition?

On 2004-04-14T22:24:00+1000, Michael Bellears wrote:
> I also came across LVM (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html)
> - Can anyone comment on the effectiveness/stability and if it would be
> appropriate to my situation?..It certainly looks interesting.

Installed LVM on my work-station years ago to allow my paritions to grow
as needed, but I have not had to use that feature.  LVM has been rock
stable otherwise.  I hit a small problem in the boot scripts (already
fixed, I think), otherwise the upgrade from lvm1 to 2 just worked.

If you look at LVM, then you should also take a look at the MD and EVMS
as well, but I am not sure that these make that much sense when you have
a raid controller already.

LVM and EVMS support snapshots which is an interesting (partial) backups
solution.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind