Re: branding debian releases

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:22:06 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Pomber <tompomber@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, I think Monique is incorrect for once.
> Unstable is less stable than testing.

If by "less stable", you mean "less changing in its contents in time,"
then that's true.

But if by "less stable", you mean "less likely to have problems that
could cause you to pull your hair out . . .right now that's true,
because sarge is close to release.  In general, it ain't necessarily
so.  KDE was uninstallable out of testing for *months* this past year.
And a simple archive search will find you lots of people last year
making frustrated posts to debian-user because an apt-get upgrade had
broken GNOME (a new version was coming down into testing, and it wasn't
yet complete there); the breakage didn't get fixed for quite a while.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg00531.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg00615.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg00693.html

And it's very well documented that testing is the last distro
to receive security updates.

This thread got started because people were frustrated about having
to explain stable vs. testing vs. unstable to new users trying
Debian.  But it appears to me that a lot of people with strong
ideas on how to fix that don't understand the differences themselves.

The web page http://www.debian.org/devel/testing explains what testing
is.  It isn't what many people in this thread seem to be suggesting.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)