RE: Dynamically increase/reduce hardware raid partition?

Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 03:04, Michael Bellears wrote:
>> Wouldn't Reiser just be seeing the array as a single drive though?
>
> Sorry, I missed the beginning of the thread, but I'm assuming
> you're using a hardware RAID board?

Yes - Smart Array 6400

> As long as you're using a hardware board, and you can somehow
> dynamically increase the size of the partition, I don't see
> you having a problem. The only possible complication is that
> the filesystem must be unmounted before it can be resized. So
> if you need constant access to the filesystem, I don't think
> there's much you can do. But if you can afford a minute or
> two of downtime for the drive, it should be no problem. Just
> use resize_reiserfs and resize the fs to fit the partition.
> Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info - I'll def. look into resize_reserfs and friends..

I also came across LVM (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html)
- Can anyone comment on the effectiveness/stability and if it would be
appropriate to my situation?..It certainly looks interesting.

Regards,
MB