Re: Webmin install problem might be openssl or hostname

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 james@soon.co.uk wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have posted this problem to the debian user list because I
> suspect that
> this is a system rather than a webmin problem.

It is.

> In order to remotely administer this server I have been
> trying to install
> webmin (via aptitude) but unfortunately I have been getting
> the following
> error message:
>
> Setting up webmin (1.130-1) ...
> miniserv.pem: No such file or directory
> hostname: Unknown host
>
> I understand that openssl generates the 'miniserv.pem' and
> as far as I can
> tell it is installed and working fine. Also when I run the
> hostname command
> I get:
>
> chopin
>
> which is the hostname I gave the computer during initial
> set-up.

What is the output of hostname --fqdn?

You need to have a fully-qualified domain name set up for the certificate
generation code to work.  If you don't have a domain name of your own
(i.e soon.co.uk) or one setup by your ISP, set it to localdomain (which would
make your FQDN chopin.localdomain) If you want to remotely administer your
server you want a real domain name though.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>