Re: Problem installing Sarge from ISO images

Galicic, Joseph R. wrote:
Hi Hugo,
Here are my exact steps....

I boot from iso disk 1 to start the install process. The base system installs ok and reboots
After reboot I get the configuration menu screen.
I set time, configure apt and such...
Then I choose "select packages to install" and that is when the install
hangs. It just sits there doing nothing. No other screens appear.
I manualy reboot the machine and this time I go directly to the shell as
root and try to manully do things like...
Run apt-setup which works
I then type tasksel so I can select some packages to install.  This works
and I select a couple of packages. However when I select finish it asks for
disk 1.  I put disk 1 in and hit enter.  It does not read the disk and asks
me again to insert disk 1.

You're exactly right: there is at least a "hang" and "loop" if you install w/o net and from CD.

I am using the Sarge CD's from last Saturday (3/27) and these are my steps:

1.install using vanilla boot.
2.boot after installer
3.clock + root pwd + user pwd + hostname + NO PPP
4.apt-config: cdrom + scanning + failed to fetch security[1]
----HANGS---
5.ctrl-c + enter
6.tasksel/aptitude/dselect/nothing - select nothing
7.says:media-change[2]
----LOOP---
8.ctrl-c + enter
9.base-config
10.Thank you for choosing Debian

I get around the hang[1] with ctrl-c and/or enter and waiting a little bit, he gets out of it.
Same way with the loop[2].

There seem to be at least 2 bugs running around: he does not set the cdrom up right and he insists on setting up stable security even though you are coming from a sarge cd.

So after he thanks me I set up /dev/cdrom to symlink to /dev/hdc. Then I mount the cd myself (mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom).

After that I run "apt-cdrom -m add": so he does not try to mount it himself and he adds the cd's and you are up and running.

You might check for bugs in the bug site, but the maintainers apparentyly don't have the time to answer these because a lot go unanswered. Joey answered one of mine when I noted that lilo don't work in the installer.

You might want to check /etc/network/interfaces if that has the loopback set up: if that is blank you will get into trouble using cups and his 631 port, add this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Hugo.