Re: from Announce: 3.0r3 "i386 kernels cannot be exchanged" - why?

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 10.55, SpamHog wrote:
[...]
> - Is one stuck with vulns for now? If so, till when?

Your best bet is to compile your own kernel. I'm not clear what you
refer to (and you didn't give a link, and I won't go hunting for it),
but I guess what it meant that Debian won't upgrade the kernel to a new
version because the kernel API must stay the same within stable. If
this would not be the case, people using vendor-provided modules
(nvidia or promise or other hardware drivers) would have their hardware
suddenly stop working.

OTOH, those security fixes that *can* be backported to old kernels are,
the security teams's time permitting (they are volounteers like all
other Debian developers are).

cheers
-- vbi

--
pub  1024D/92082481 2002-02-22 Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>
   Key fingerprint = EFE3 96F4 18F5 8D65 8494  28FC 1438 5168 9208 2481