Re: from Announce: 3.0r3 "i386 kernels cannot be exchanged" - why?

Thank you Adrian!

> (and you didn't give a link, and I won't go hunting for it),

The article I refer to is this:
From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Subject: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r3
Newsgroups: linux.debian.announce.devel
Date: 2004-03-26 12:50:12 PST

You can also read it at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=linux.debian.announce.devel&safe=off&selm=1E6rf-jw-5%40gated-at.bofh.it
(on one line)
It is not yet available in the debian-announce archive.

The passage I refer to is the following:
quote>>> Due to the number of recent kernel vulnerabilities this
update will contain several updated kernel packages.  This poses a
threat to our users since the correction for do brk() (CAN-2003-0961)
changes the binary compatibility of the kernel, hence local or
vendor-provided modules won't work anymore.  As a result i386 kernels
cannot be exchanged, but for most other architectures this is
possible. <<< /quote

So I still wonder if ALL i386 kernels contain such vendor-provided
modules.

You say compliling everything from source will take care of the binary
API mismatch - did I get it right?

BR+Tnx!

SpamHog