Re: Showing log messages on desktop

Hello

E&Erdem (<erdem@turkcelinux.net>) wrote:

> I want to see /var/log/messages on a small part of my desktop. Is this
> possible? I've heard something like this.

I think there is a software for KDE called Karamba that can do this.

> I use Gnome2.4 on testing with 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.

You could basically open a terminal window and run something like

less +F /var/log/syslog

Some terminal programs like eterm allow you to switch off all
decorations and set the background color to "transparent". This way you
don't see the window itself - only the text.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976