few debian questions!!

Hi

I am new to debian but not to UNIX. I `ve been using HPUX unix (only as a
user) for few years. There are some question for me and I be glade If
anyone can help me on that.

1- Where does the third party software (such as GNU softwares) are
installed in debian systems ? Is it /usr/local or /usr/?

2- Where can I found pre-compiled software for debian it seems all the
software comes with the disks are very old one? I am looking for MYSQL. and
latest gcc and perl and some other GNU stuff.

3- Is there any information on how I can package binary on debian? I used
to build depot for HPUX.

Thanks

Mehdi

--