Re: few debian questions!!

Hello

mehdi (<mehdi@lavasani.co.uk>) wrote:

> I am new to debian but not to UNIX. I `ve been using HPUX unix (only
> as a user) for few years. There are some question for me and I be
> glade If anyone can help me on that.
>
> 1- Where does the third party software (such as GNU softwares) are
> installed in debian systems ? Is it /usr/local or /usr/?

Install third party software to /usr/local or /opt. Don't install
anything to /usr yourself. /usr should be used only by your package
mannagement.

> 2- Where can I found pre-compiled software for debian it seems all the
> software comes with the disks are very old one? I am looking for
> MYSQL. and latest gcc and perl and some other GNU stuff.

Either install some backports (packages of newer software built and
packaged for the current stable release):

<http://www.backports.org>
<http://www.apt-get.org>

or think about switching from stable to testing or unstable. But keep in
mind that in testing and unstable there is no guarantee for security
updates, and things break from time to time.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976