Re: locale errors

Hello

Ashley Graham (<ph33rful@optonline.net>) wrote:

>>Try "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as root. If the locales package is not
>>installed, type "apt-get install locales". Please use the archive at
>><http://groups.google.com> (Group linux.debian.user) or
>><http://liste.debian.org> first next time. This question has been
>>asked and answered more then once.
>>

> What question hasn't been asked and answered more than once? What
> question is new anymore?
>
> Have you tried looking up info through google lately?

Yes, I do it nearly every day. By the way, if you have problems using
the web search with questions with this, try the groups search instead.
Especially if you have some kind of error message.

> A quick look-up with the search string "locale settings" returns
> nothing that would help me; it does offer attempts to stear me in the
> right direction, but I probably would have made other problems in
> trying to fix my one.

Well, your search terms are to general. As a rule of thumb, always try
(among other things, and first) to enter the error message or some not
too short part of it. In your case, going to "linux.debian.user",
selecting "Search only in linux.debian.user" and sorting the results by
date (always a good idea) would give you this result:

<http://tinyurl.com/2rd9b>

Most of the results deal with the error message you got.

> With regards to it being asked previously; they may have asked it
> differently, they may not have thought it out, and asked it like I
> did, there are a number of ways of asking any given problem, if I
> didn't word it like they did, it would be like shouting into the
> darkness (like most search attempts).

I know that it can be difficult to find good results, epecially with
Google these days. But as I have shown above, the right strategy can
lead you to success. And I also know that your problem may be different
from those in the threads you can find in the list archive. You are also
right that they may have described the problem differently - this is
why you should the error message to find helpful results.

And experience in reading this list indicates that the probability is
/very/ high that you have the same problem (especially because the error
message is the same), and that your problem can be solved in the same
way. The way I explicitly explained in my message so that in this case
you didn't have to use the archive.

The least you could have done writing your second message would have
been to tell me if the commands I told you have been helpful. Instead I
still don't know if your problem has been solved the way I suggested,
if you solved it in a different way, or if it still exists (in this
case I would of course try to suggest something else). If you expect
/helpful/ answers, give a good example, and give me /helpful/ feedback.
This would also make it possible for the next one who has your problem
to find a solution without asking here again - only in the in my opinion
unlikely case that your problem is really unique.

> I understand that the "noise" and/or extra bandwidth that I used in
> sending/receiving comments with this message might have been
> burdensome to the server(s), and possibly you, but I received the
> answer quicker, and more presice to my dilemma, then if I had gone
> through google.

Yes, I am sure that asking here instead of making the effort to
thoroughly search the archive is convenient for you.

> Who's to say what questions are allowed to be answered/asked? Should
> they all go through you first; deleting the ones you feel are exotic
> enough to actually spend time answering?

I did not order you to do anything. I asked you politely to me a favour.
That is the same thing you did when you asked for help. And people /did/
help you. Just do the same.

> Secondly, the possible ways of explaining a problem are far from
> small, I could have typed away dozens of attempts in google, and still
> not gotten an answer. But I did here; in about five minutes.

Using the error message in Google groups, I got the answer in less that
one minute. Writing my first answer probably took more time. Writing
this one definitely took more time.

> I did search google, but all I recieved as replies were how to change
> my locale settings, which I didn't want to do, I needed to generate
> the ones I already had defined.

Changing is not the correct term. dpkg-reconfigure lets you select the
locales you want - you can of course again select the same ones you
chose previously. By the way most settings (except for LC_CTYPE)
weren't defined at all.

> And I know me, as a relative idiot in the Linux/GNU world, snapping at
> you, and possibly offending you as well as others is wrong, and
> probably in very bad taste. But I couldn't let you try to tell me what
> I can and cannot post.

Again, I didn't you tell to do anything. I asked. Politely. This is why
I used the word "please".

> If you can show me five posts where this exact question has been
> answered previously. I'll shut up about this, praise you, and
> apologize for wasting bandwidth/etc.

That sound too good. I just can't resist. Try the links below. They were
found using the search link above.

<http://tinyurl.com/ytkok>
<http://tinyurl.com/2v95f>
<http://tinyurl.com/24rzb>