Re: Install stalling with sarge.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:16:28AM -0800, Ruben Lopez wrote:
> hugo vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am trying to install sarge, but the installation doesn't seem to be
> > > able to detect my hard drive. When I select the "Partition a Hard Drive"
> > > option, nothing happens except the installation menu just returns to the
> > > "Partition..." option. When I start cfdisk in ash I get "FATAL ERROR:
> > > Cannot open disk drive". I have searched some of the buglists but I
> cannot tell
> > > if this is documented or has been resolved. Is there a way to get around
> > > this?

I have been working (a little) with this installer on a cheap desktop. I
found that it hangs on the partitioning command. A little investigation
shows that it seems to have to do with the ide chipset modules (it
identifies my chipset as SIS5513 (from memory) and if I disable loading
of that chipset it seems to read my partitions correctly.

I haven't completely tested this out yet to verify exactly what is
happening (late night, lack of sleep), but maybe try expert mode and
selecting your chipset?

For me, I could shell out (right after the first detection phase I
think) and try "fdisk -l" on an already partitioned drive. It would show
the partitions if the chipset selection worked, otherwise it would not.

> > Don't start another thread within one.
>
> Sorry... I cleaned out the headers so that the threading wouldn't show up,
> but I guess my hack didn't work as intended.
>
> > And what pray tell kind of hard
> > drive *do* you have?
>
> Well, pray tell, I am using a Maxtor 40GB drive, but I don't think the
> problem is with the drive, since I can install woody and W*nd*ws normally on
> this drive.
>
> > And what version of the installer are you running?
>
> Not sure... I have the sarge iso dated 3/22/04, but I don't know how to
> determine the version of the installer.

I was using the 3/20 ? netinstall businesscard.iso, and checked
(quickly) the 3/22 businesscard.iso - same issue as above.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.