Re: Sound not working

Remaining problem that I have is that if I enable the Gnome Sound Server to get sound working under gnome that Rhythmbox is refusing to play because /dev/dsp is busy. If I disable the Gnome Sound server, Rhythmbox plays fine. However if I start up xmms and also play a file there it doesn't work.(I also see this in Fedora) It seems that I can only play sound from one source. In windooz the card plays fine with multiple sources.

Your applications need to be esd-aware. I don't know anything about Rhythmbox, but xmms either is or can be made esd-aware; Right-click within xmms, choose Options, then Preferences, then Output plugin.

Thanks for your help it pointed me in the right direction :)

Rhythmbox uses the gstreamer framework which can use all the popular sound servers. Out of the box (or apt-get) it gets configured to use oss and that conflicts with esd. I now set it to use esd by specifying it in gconf ( system/gstreamer/default ). gst-player the official gstreamer player now works correctly. Rhythmbox comes up with an error message that it currently cannot use esd when sound events in gnome are enabled.
(So I guess I have to wait for that)

Jaap