Sound not working

Hi,

Yesterday I installed Debian Unstable (hoping to become a very happy Debian user) by running the netinstaller and then selecting "desktop" in tasksel.

I had the problem that sound and volume control weren't working.

When I wanted to play an audio file it was complaining taht it cannot open /dev/dsp and the volume control applet complained that /dev/sound/mixer does not exist. (/dev/mixer exists)

I now got everything working by changing the file permission of
/dev/dsp and /dev/mixer from crw-rw---- to crw-rw-rw- (both are owned by root:audio) and make a symbolic link from /dev/sound/mixer to /dev/mixer

What I first tried is adding the audio group to my group but that didn't work.

I have the feeling that what I did is not the official way to set things up. For example in Fedora both /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer have as permission crw------- and are owned by root:root

Does anybody know how what's the official way to set it up?

Thanks

Jaap