Re: Sound not working

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:53:23 +0100
Jaap Haitsma <jaap@haitsma.org> wrote:

> Remaining problem that I have is that if I enable the Gnome Sound Server
>
> to get sound working under gnome that Rhythmbox is refusing to play
> because /dev/dsp is busy. If I disable the Gnome Sound server, Rhythmbox
>
> plays fine. However if I start up xmms and also play a file there it
> doesn't work.(I also see this in Fedora) It seems that I can only play
> sound from one source. In windooz the card plays fine with multiple
> sources.

Take a look at the command arguments for esd.  It's possible to tell
esd to not hang onto /dev/dsp when it doesn't need it.

My /etc/esound/esd.conf says:

[esd]
auto_spawn=1
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2
spawn_wait_ms=100

and with that, esd-aware and esd-unaware applications are able to
coexist just fine.

(if you go this route, esd will of course need to be restarted)

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)