Re: Sound not working

Jaap Haitsma wrote:

I now listed my soundcard driver (maestro3) in /etc/modules
Strange thing is that previously I'm pretty sure that it got loaded automatically by the Debian boot process. Does debian have something like redhat's kudzu that recognizes hardware changes or do I always need to list the drivers in /etc/modules?

Sorry; I can't address that.

> 3) You're running a desktop environment like KDE or Gnome which expects
> a sound daemon like artsd or esd, and that daemon is not running.
>   or

esd now is running. Out of curiosity what fires up esd? (I already did some greps in /etc but can't find it)

I'm pretty sure that's part of the gnome-session start-up process, not part of the general system start-up process.

> 4) Profit?  (that's a "insiders" joke, if you don't get it)
Don't get it :(. (Until yesterday I was using Fedora)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_subculture#Business_plans

Remaining problem that I have is that if I enable the Gnome Sound Server to get sound working under gnome that Rhythmbox is refusing to play because /dev/dsp is busy. If I disable the Gnome Sound server, Rhythmbox plays fine. However if I start up xmms and also play a file there it doesn't work.(I also see this in Fedora) It seems that I can only play sound from one source. In windooz the card plays fine with multiple sources.

Your applications need to be esd-aware. I don't know anything about Rhythmbox, but xmms either is or can be made esd-aware; Right-click within xmms, choose Options, then Preferences, then Output plugin.

--
Kent