Concurrent connections on file server

I work in a call center, and support about 350 workstations, all running various versions of Windows. We are using a file server that has Win98. I am working on a proposal to change to a Linux file server.
At this point, the company standard is Windows. We have one Red Hat print server, and some dialers running either Unix or SCO.
I've looked at a lot of distros, and have decided to try running Debian. I have a couple of questions. If someone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

We have a dialer program that was written in Visual Basic. When started on each work station, it reads a config file on the file server and starts the program. At various times during the calls being worked, different amounts of information are written to files on the file server. The file server also houses various spreadsheets and Access databases used by managers throughout the center, which they access and modify frequently throughout the day.

How many concurrent connections would be possible on a file server running Debian? Is it a limited number?
Also, does Debian provide for easy setup and administration of the file server (creating directories and setting up permissions, etc) through the GUI (KDE)?
I'm new to Linux, and don't know that I would be able to administer this system from the command line at this point. My hope is to get a Linux file server running to show it's stability and reliability, and move toward more Linux solutions in the future. It will also be a good chance for me to become more proficient with Linux, and possibly be able to get the company to help out with my training.

Thanks,
Ken
khansen46@earthlink.net