Re: Concurrent connections on file server

Ken Hansen wrote:

I work in a call center, and support about 350 workstations, all running various versions of Windows. We are using a file server that has Win98. I am working on a proposal to change to a Linux file server. At this point, the company standard is Windows. We have one Red Hat print server, and some dialers running either Unix or SCO. I've looked at a lot of distros, and have decided to try running Debian. I have a couple of questions. If someone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. We have a dialer program that was written in Visual Basic. When started on each work station, it reads a config file on the file server and starts the program. At various times during the calls being worked, different amounts of information are written to files on the file server. The file server also houses various spreadsheets and Access databases used by managers throughout the center, which they access and modify frequently throughout the day.

So all you're needing is file storage; you're not running any apps on the server? No problem.

How many concurrent connections would be possible on a file server running Debian? Is it a limited number?

It's limited only by hardware/network capability. If Win98 can handle it, the same machine can handle it (and probably about 6 times the load (very rough guesstimation) or so more).

Also, does Debian provide for easy setup and administration of the file server (creating directories and setting up permissions, etc) through the GUI (KDE)?

Finding the command line to be much easier than GUI tools in my experience, it's hard for me to say, since I never use such tools. But yes, with the new KDE in sid, creating/deleting folders, and changing perms on that folder is a pointy-clickety procedure.

I'm new to Linux, and don't know that I would be able to administer this system from the command line at this point.

30 second lesson:

mkdir = creates a directory
   mkdir /home/hansenk/my_new_folder
   mkdir another_dir

rmdir = removes a directory
   rmdir ~/my_new_folder
   rmdir /home/hansenk/test

chmod = changes access permissions on a file/folder (a folder is just another type of file) chmod -R go+x /home/hansenk = causes all files/folders in hansenk's dir to become eXecutable for the Group and for Others. The "-R" causes the change to recurse down the directory tree.
   chmod u+w my_file = causes "my_file" to be writable by the owner (User).
   chmod +w my_file = same as above (the User is assumed)
   chmod -r my_file = removes the owner's capability to read the "my_file"

chown = changes owner/group on a file/folder
chown -R root.hansenk /usr/local = causes all files in /usr/local to be owned by root and to belong to the group "hansenk" chown hansenk /usr/mine = causes the directory or file "mine" to be owned by the user "hansenk"

touch = creates a file, or updates the modification date on the file
touch empty_file = creates a file named "empty file", or updates the date if the file already exists

rm  = remove a file
   rm empty_file = "empty_file" is now deleted.

ls -l = show listing of files, with permissions, dates, etc

These basic commands will let you do 70% of what you need to do at the command line.

--
Kent