Re: Concurrent connections on file server

"Ken Hansen" <khansen46@earthlink.net> writes:

> How many concurrent connections would be possible on a file server running
> Debian? Is it a limited number?

Short answer: A lot of connections, not really.

Long answer:  Well, TCP/IP only allows for something like 65535
concurrent connections...

> Also, does Debian provide for easy setup and administration of the
> file server (creating directories and setting up permissions, etc)
> through the GUI (KDE)?

You can dink around with metadata in KDE.  It is a desktop workstation
type desktop environment...

> I'm new to Linux, and don't know that I would be able to administer
> this system from the command line at this point.

Not to discourage you, but I suggest you get adequately familiar with
that in case something goes wrong and you can't get X.

> My hope is to get a Linux file server running to show it's stability
> and reliability, and move toward more Linux solutions in the
> future. It will also be a good chance for me to become more
> proficient with Linux, and possibly be able to get the company to
> help out with my training.

There we go, work with it!

: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com