Lingering 2.6 problems, now 2.6.4

1. The module uhci-hcd does not "unload" correctly. I can blacklist it now,
defeating my MIDI interface but enabling an orderly shutdown.

What happens is that if this module is loaded, shutdown will show
URB Status -108 (or some other number like this)
Usb request -32.
and then hang up.

This MAY be a problem in apm, but not starting apm does not help.

2. A console receives numerous ifdown: ppp1 interface not configured. No
kidding. There is apparently some new monitoring daemon sitting on this.
Apparently harmless. I have been unable to find anything making such calls.

3. There are at least two polls of PCI slots. One is from agpgart. The other
may be relating hotplug. The second one apparently gets alsa snd-es1968 to
load and think is sees an AC97 codex on my sound card. This card is not
supported, has the correct I/O chip for es1968 but no AC97. The first (alsa)
attempt correctly fails, the second loads as if it were the OSS maetro driver
(which will erroneous detect the codex). However,  a look at modules shows
snd-es1968 and not "maestro" indeed loaded--might try blacklisting.

(The OSS "maestro" module had been loaded by the original knoppix3.3
installation--all references to it have long since been dutifully #commented
or deleted.) Everything recently upgraded from SID.