Debian queries

No good reason why, but I am considering switching from SuSE 8.2 to
Debian.

Knowledge and skill-wise, I probably am still in the "newbie"
category, but I can do a heck of a lot more than I could at first.

Some questions for those of you who use Debian:

1.  In the newest version, how good is the hardware support?  I assume
it uses x-windows still, and I also assume I will need to find my own
driver for my radeon 9800 pro.  But what about LCD support (how
easily can I adjust refresh rate etc.?  I am not afraid to do it by
hand, as long as it will let me).  My sound card -->  Soundblaster
audigy. I assume Debian uses ALSA?

It seems with SuSE and redhat (which I played with for a week or two),
my major issues are ALWAYS hardware.  Which I doubt is earth
shattering.

2.  Boot loader -->  I am pretty sure I read on their website
Debian uses Lilo.  How come?  I like GRUB.  Can I use GRUB?

3.  How easy is apt-get really?

4.  I couldn't find this on the website, but what desktop does it
favor?  I do like a GUI, so sue me (heh that rhymes).  KDE is my
favorite.

5.  Does any edition come with OpenOffice, which obviates my need for
M$?

6.  For the record, I am more than happy to pay for these
releases/donate, so unless the costs associated approach micro$oft's
office, price doesn't matter.

Thanks!
----