Re: Debian queries

users@linuxforums.org wrote:

No good reason why, but I am considering switching from SuSE 8.2 to
Debian.

Knowledge and skill-wise, I probably am still in the "newbie"
category, but I can do a heck of a lot more than I could at first.

Some questions for those of you who use Debian:

1.  In the newest version, how good is the hardware support?  I assume
it uses x-windows still, and I also assume I will need to find my own
driver for my radeon 9800 pro.  But what about LCD support (how
easily can I adjust refresh rate etc.?  I am not afraid to do it by
hand, as long as it will let me).  My sound card -->  Soundblaster
audigy. I assume Debian uses ALSA?
Hardware support in the volunteer-driven/maintained Debian is probably a bit lagging that of what you'll find in a commercial variant, like SuSE, but as a general rule, if it works in one distro, it'll work in another.

I'm currently on an LCD panel; haven't really played with refresh rates, but I sure went through a lot of video settings until I finally learned this Dell has a b0rken BIOS and misreports to the OS the RAM on the integrated Intel video system and downgraded to an earlier non-broken BIOS.

For me, getting hardware to work in Linux has been a black art. I can't address directly the Radeon or the Sound Card. I'm using a 2.6 kernel and my sound (again, integrated) just worked.

It seems with SuSE and redhat (which I played with for a week or two),
my major issues are ALWAYS hardware.  Which I doubt is earth
shattering.

2.  Boot loader -->  I am pretty sure I read on their website
Debian uses Lilo.  How come?  I like GRUB.  Can I use GRUB?

lilo is the traditional boot loader. I understand that the next version of Debian will use GRUB. And even now, and even with earlier versions, you can use either.

3.  How easy is apt-get really?
See my answer to question 5 below.

4.  I couldn't find this on the website, but what desktop does it
favor?  I do like a GUI, so sue me (heh that rhymes).  KDE is my
favorite.
It doesn't favor one over the other. Debian is an administrator-driven OS, not a RetailOutlet-driven OS. You install what you want. You want KDE? Fine. You want Gnome? Fine. icewm? Fine. You want to switch between them at a moment's notice? Fine. You want to have several X sessions going at once, each with a different GUI? Fine.

5.  Does any edition come with OpenOffice, which obviates my need for
M$?

I know it's in Sid (the playland of the developers, cutting edge, and all that), and I'm confident it's in stable. To get it, try this:
 apt-get install openoffice.org

Bang! It's there. Sweet.

6.  For the record, I am more than happy to pay for these
releases/donate, so unless the costs associated approach micro$oft's
office, price doesn't matter.
Debian is pre-eminent among distros in adhering to the principles of Free Software (as in "libre", and as in "no cost"). If you stick with the official Debian repositories, you'll never have to wonder "Has my trial license expired?". Of course, Debian has expenses, so donations (http://www.debian.org/devel/join/) are always welcome.

--
Kent