re:Debian queries

> It's perfectly possible to
> install 2.6 even on the current stable, albeit with a few backports
of
> things like module-init-tools and e2fsprogs

I am too much of a newbie to attempt such a thing.  I was raised on
BASIC, on the Timex-Sinclair, C64, TI-994A, then moved to Unix
briefly in college.  However, I have been made largely spoon fed via
Windows since then.  I had to relearn all the fun Unix commands and
directories when starting to work with Linux.  I have lots of work to
do before I can handle things like the above, or even compiling my
own kernel/modules.  Please be patient :)

Thanks for the insight, everyone...looks like I will be giving Debian
a try, but if (and when) I run into issues, I will be back!
----