ext2/ext3/vfat on laptop vs. desktop (fwd)

Hi everybody

On the debian-laptop list nobody answered my question, so I am trying on
this list.

Thanks and greetings, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)

Dear people,

another not-quite-laptop-related-but-only-happens-here story:

After I switched to ext3 on my installation partition (Acer TM 803, Debian
stable/testing, based on Knoppix 3.2, heavily upgraded, kernel 2.4.24) I
noticed a severe performance loss. Actually, the system suddenly felt
quite sluggish (especially during start-up). I did some hdparm -t runs and
discoverd that the transfer rate had dropped to around 12.9 MB/s from
around 20 MB/s. That is a 30 % drop! I cross-checked with my desktop
installation (basically the same setup, but of course very different
hardware) and I only noticed (if at all) a drop in transfer rate of about
1 or 2 percent between ext3 and ext2. Also, the vfat partition on the
laptop delivers the good old 20 MB/s as did the ext2 partition. On the
desktop there is also only a small difference between vfat and ext3.

Any ideas why this happened? And yes, I have enabled DMA and manually
switched to UDMA 5 on all concerned drives.
Should I go back to ext2?

Cheers, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)