Re: why is /dev/cdrom owned by root:disk after installation?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:36:12AM +1100, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
| Once upon a time Derrick 'dman' Hudson said...
| > On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:35:48AM -0500, H. S. wrote:
| > | Albert Dengg wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | er ... isn't the automatic detection of the disks supposed to tell the
| > | kernel if it is a CDROM or CD-RW?
| >
| > The -kernel- knows, but that doesn't change any nodes on-disk in /dev.
|
| Some userspace program must know too, since it is not the kernel that
| creates the /dev/cdrom symlink. Whatever creates that symlink should
| also change the target of the link to group cdrom.

Way back when (I haven't installed since potato) I created that
symlink for my own convenience (IIRC).  Now I have a /dev/cdrom and a
/dev/cdrw symlink because I have two drives (but, I also manually
specified the name and target of the symlinks).  Did you create it
too, or was it put there for you by something?

-D

--
One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.